VPN, or Virtual Private Network, is really a good tool to guard your security and privacy when you use the web. While in China, due to the strong censorship to sites like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube, a long list (it could in fact be quite irritating when you can not use these internet essentials), people mainly use it to unlock the these popular services in China, which hide your I.P. address so your devices seem to be connected from the U.S. or Japan,U.K, Australia… even when you are in China. This way you can bypass the Great Firewall of China to use all the popular web services in the world. However, not all VPNs work nicely in China. You may want to know what is the best vpn to use in china. Well, you can find your answer in this post. We regularly keep testing different VPN from Beijing, China and show you some good ones that do work in China.
The Great China firewall in Mainland China keeps changing from time to time and some VPNs are going to be aimed at. We adjust our list of the absolute best VPN services according to our latest tests on speed and reliability.
Within the past couple of months I have already been myself personally examining more than a dozen VPN services on my own PC and also mobile phone in Beijing. This VPN comparison table involves s most important features for several of the best and fast VPN in China. Continue reading to get my in-depth VPN reviews for China.
#1 ExpressVPN – The fastest and the most well-performing VPN in China
• Extremely fast speed, stable, good shield of encryption
• Servers in 94 counties
• Unlimited data transfer, no throttling
• Apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Routers, and Linux
• Apps reconnect automatically
• No activity logs
• Up to 5 three devices of any type with just one account
• 30 day money back guarantee
• 24/7 live chat support
• Just a little expensive (it really is worth the extra bucks)
ExpressVPN is the best VPN that I have ever tested in China. It has fast speed and stable connection. It provides a 30-day Money-back guarantee so you can try it for 30 days and whenever you don’t love it or don’t want it any longer, you can get the full refund.
ExpressVPN has an easy-to use VPN app on various devices. I especially love its very simple computer and cell phone apps. They work effectively and I can always have a faster connection when I link to Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong servers. The server list ensures it is very very easy to select the best and fast server in your region.
When you connection drops, ExpressVPN app will swiftly reconnect to the server. This definitely is great and save you time. Some other VPN mobile apps may need you to manually reconnect whenever you drop out- a big hassle.
Setup is easy and you can get it running in only a couple of minutes. They’ll send you an e-mail with a link which will show you how to install VPN apps on various devices as well as a activation code for each app.
All in all ExpressVPN is an excellent option for those who live in China or visiting China. Expressvpn can keep you away from annoying cut-off when you are using your favorite sites. With simply a little extra bucks you’ll have the reassurance that you can connect the sites smoothly and have a pleasant user experience. Now ExpressVPN is running a 49% off deal. Billed 99.95 for one year package you will enjoy 12 Months + 3 Months FREE. Make sure you get it before it’s gone!
Many people ask how to download a vpn while in China since manyVPN websites are blocked in China. However, ExpressVPN always provides a mirror website that you can access in China. You can download Express VPN by clicking the button below.
#2 Vypr VPN – the most secure VPN
• Unlimited data transfer and server switch
• Apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, TV and router.
• Servers in 70+ countries and regions
• Run its own servers, No 3rd parties
• Support OpenVPN™, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP and Chameleon™
• 2, 3, or 5 simultaneous connections based on different packages
• 3-day FREE trial
• 24x7x365 email and live chat support
• Price is a bit higher than the average.
VyprVPN (owned by Goldenfrog) is a smaller VPN provider yet among the most trusted and secure VPN in China. Large VPN companies have large number of users and are easily to get targeted by the Chinese government censorship, therefore their speed may slow down. While smaller VPN providers are able to dodge the China internet censorship.
It supports all types of devices such as PC, Android, iOS and Mac. I especially love the its Interface. It is clean and extremely easy to switch servers. Bandwidth is unlimited and you can use up to 5 devices at the same time with one account. They give you a 3-day free trial, so you can test its speed before paying.
VyprVPN features for outstanding encryption system (128-256 bit) which is hard to identify and block. I personally think that VyprVPN is the most secure VPN in China. Besides VyprVPN has a 700+ servers in 70+ countries around the world. Chinese VPN users can connect with the servers in Asia to get the fastest and reliable speed.
On the whole we can tell you that you can’t be wrong with VyprVPN. It can always bypass China censorship with its updated technology and provides reliable, fast and secure service in China. It is the one of the best VPN for travel to China.
#3 PureVPN – the cheapest VPN
• Unlimited bandwidth
• Fast and reliable speed
• 700+ servers in 140 countries all over the world
• 5 Multi-Logins
• 256-bit encryption
• 7-day money back guarantee
• 24 hours live chat support
• Keep some logs
PureVPN is a great VPN provider based in Hong-Kong. I once used VPN for 3 years and it keeps working well. It is the cheapest VPN that works in China.
It once had a complicated interface but they change to a clean and user-friendly interface in 2016. PureVPN can be installed and run on major platforms like Windows, Linux, iOS, Mac and Android. You can install and set it up in 2 minutes. You are able to choose the VPN locations from a drop-down list.
PureVPN has 750 servers in 140+ countries, which is a big servers number among big VPN providers. Usually servers located near China can get faster speed. According to my test, servers from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan are faster than other regions, anyway you need to test it and find the best one yourself.
The disadvantage of using PureVPN is that they keep logs, but they assure not to provide users’ personal data to any third parties. But you still need to be careful before you decide to buy it. PureVPN provides 24/7 customer service and you can always contact them through their live chat support.
PureVPN offers over 50 payment options. It accepts major payment options like Bitcoin, VISA, MasterCard, American Express, WebMoney and PayPal, Alipay and other choices.
Overall PureVPN is one of the best VPNs for China. It is quite reasonably-priced with big servers network, outstanding speeds and favorable support. But PureVPN keeps some logs. If security matters much for you, we recommend you use other VPNs like ExpressVPN or VyprVPN.
If not, I recommend to use it today. Now you can save 68% by choosing its 2 year package with just $3.54/month, which is a very attractive offer.
• Reliable connection and fast speed.
• 14-day money back guarantee
• Unlimited data transfer
• Simultaneous connections with different devices
• Apps including Windows, Mac, Linux, IOS, Android, Chromebook etc.
• Do not monitor or store logs
• Only email support.
12VPN is a VPN service company located in Hong Kong. It is not a big company, but it is near to China which focuses more on users in China.
12VPN has knows well about how to serve China users, you can find tips and advice on how to use it in China. They even provide Chinese language email support. 12VPN features specially designed VPN tech for China users, called OpenWeb, which allows you to visit local sites such as Baidu, Taobao etc directly from China instead of going through VPN, which makes it faster while you can still unblock non-Chinese websites.
Please note that 12VPN does not support Torrents. If you need to use VPN to do this, 12VPN is not a good option. 12 VPN is very secure, its encryption makes sure your privacy and anonymous. It is a wise choice for those who have concerns about internet privacy in China.
#5. HideMyAss VPN
• 760+ servers in 190+ countries
• Apps for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows PC & Linux
• Up to 5 connections simultaneously
• No restrictions on data transfer
• 30 day money back guarantee
• Keeps log files
HideMyAss is considered to be one of the most trustworthy VPN providers across the world. HMA is situated in in the United Kingdom and it is a worldwide leader in VPN and internet privacy tools and services.
There is no traffic limit and it is fast for browsing blocked websites, downloading and watching streaming videos in China. According to my test, its fastest downloading speed can reach 6.46mb/s in Beijing, which is a very fast speed among all VPN providers. HMA works with various operating-system including HMA Mac, Windows, iOS and Android.
HideMyAss provides competitive prices among all VPN providers. HMA costs $9.99 every month, that is almost the same price just like other leading VPN services. While a year-long membership can costs less each month as low as $4.99/month. All its VPN plans have a 30-day full money back guarantee.
Its customer service is not as good enough but considering its good seed and reliable connection what we tested in China it is still an amazing VPN service when travel or live in China. Overall HideMyAss is among the best VPN providers for China users.
Tips on using VPN in China
1. We recommend to set up your VPN before you go to China as some VPNs’ official websites are blocked within China (Only a few of them work well).
2. Are VPNs illegal in China? At present there`s no law or rules in opposition to using VPN in China. The government turns a blind eye to it. Not just a a lot of Chinese and foreign individuals use VPN every day, lots of foreign businesses and domestic companies in China rely on VPN to do their businesses and connect the outside world.
3. Some may consider using free VPNs but I discourage it. The free VPNs probably will steal and sell your data to make profit. And it’s hard for a free service to compete with a paid one in aspects like speed and reliability. A quality paid VPN just needs several bucks each month and you save lots of time to focus on the things you are doing.
4. Take advantage of VPN for free trial and money-back guarantees before making a long-term commitment. If it does not work well you will avoid the risk of losing money.
5. When choosing a VPN, make sure it works well on both computers and mobile devices.
6. Choose VPN with servers closer to China. Generally speaking, VPN servers close to China such as Japan, Korea, Hong Kong can offer better speed.
7. Apple has removed VPN Apps from China App Store since July, 2017. However, users can still download App simply by registering a new App Store account from other countries to continue to bypass the Great Firewall.
8. You only need to use VPN service in cities of Mainland China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou. You can access blocked websites in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. So you do not need VPN if you visit only these places.
9. If you need to use video and music services which are only available for users in China. Please check our page VPN into China.
How to Get VPN in China
Getting a VPN in china is easy, just follow the 4 steps below:
1. Go and visit a VPN site listed above.
2. Register and pay to their VPN package.
3. Download their apk to your device, install and run it.
4. Enjoy free Internet now.
Of course there are a lot of VPNs out there that have been left out of this list. However, if you come to China, I recommend the above best VPNs to use in China in 2018.